Application Process

All persons who inquire about poor relief assistance are required to submit a written application at the time of first contact with the Trustee’s office. Except under special conditions determined by the Trustee, no poor relief assistance will be granted unless a request is made in person at the township office. If an applicant has a need and qualifies for poor relief assistance, the applicant must comply with the standards and procedures set forth in these guidelines. At a minimum, the Trustee will advise persons who inquire about assistance of the following:

A. The right to file a written application before any determination of either eligibility or type(s) and amount(s) of benefits is made.

B. The right to receive a prompt, written determination on their application within seventy-two (72) hours from the date the written
application is received by the Trustee (excluding Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays listed in I.C. 1-1-9 (I.C. 12-20-6-7).

C. The consequences of delaying the submission of a completed written application, such as, a possibly extended time to determine

D. All applications for assistance will be processed according to uniform, written standards and without consideration of an applicant’s age, race, color, sex, religious creed, national origin, political belief or physical or mental handicap. Discrimination in any aspect of administration is prohibited by the Age Discrimination Act of 1975 (P.L. 94-135), the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (P.L. 93-112), and Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (42 U.S.C.1983, 200 d).

All applicant’s 18 years of age or older will be required to complete and sign basic application forms and swear (or affirm) that the information given is complete and accurate. The Township Trustee may not extend assistance to an individual or household unless an application and affidavit setting forth the personal condition of the individual or household has been filed with the Trustee within one hundred eighty (180) days before the date assistance is extended.

Applicants and adult household members 18 years of age or older must complete and sign a reapplication form and affidavit at any return visit beyond seventy-two (72) hours from the initial application, affirming how, if at all, the personal condition of the individual or the household has changed from that set forth in the most recent application (whether the request is for the same or another type of assistance, I.C. 12-20-6-1d).

THE TRUSTEE MUST RETAIN A COPY OF EACH APPLICATION WHETHER OR NOT RELIEF IS GRANTED (I.C. 12-20-6-8). The applicant will be required to cooperate with an investigation of personal finances, family responsibility, and eligibility to receive poor relief. This investigation may include a home visit and contact with family or household members in addition to employers, both present and former.

As applicable, the applicant and adult household members will be required to complete and sign necessary township forms and waivers including consent to a disclosure and release of information about the applicant and the applicant’s household before poor relief may be provided by the Township Trustee.

Forms must include the following:

(1) The applicant’s name, case number, and address.
(2) The types of information being solicited include the following: countable income and assets, use of resources, relatives capable of providing assistance, past or present employment, pending claims or cause of action, a medical condition (if relevant to work or workfare requirements) and any other information required by law.
(3) The names of individuals, agencies, and township trustee offices that will receive the information.
(4) The expiration date of the permission to disclose information.

The Township Trustee, as administrator of township public assistance, is required to carefully investigate the circumstances of the applicant and each member of the household to ascertain the following:

(1) Legal residence.

(2) Names and ages (an acceptable means of identification, such as Social Security card, Picture ID, Birth

Certificate, must be furnished).

(3) Physical condition relating to sickness or health.

(4) Present and previous occupation.

(5) Ability and capacity to perform labor.

(6) The cause of the applicant’s or household member’s condition, if the applicant or household member is found to be in need and the cause can be ascertained.

(7) Whether the applicant or a member of the applicant’s household is entitled to income in the immediate future from any source, including the following:  past or present employment, a pending claim or cause of action that may result in a monetary award being received by any member of the applicant’s household claiming to be in need, or a pending determination for assistance from any other federal or state government entity.

(8) If the applicant or household member is in violation of any Indiana Code’s (i.e. I.C. 35-43-5-7, I.C. 35-48-4) or has any outstanding warrant’s issued by the Federal, State or Local Authorities).

(9) The family relationships of the township public assistance applicant.

(10) Whether the township public assistance applicant or members of the applicant’s household have relatives able and willing to assist the household.

Temporary Emergency Aid (I.C. 12-20-17, 12-7-2-76.5): If the Township Trustee determines by investigation that a poor relief applicant or household member is in need of emergency assistance, the Township Trustee will furnish the applicant or household member the temporary aid necessary for the relief of immediate suffering.

Such an emergency is defined as an unpredictable circumstance which places the applicant or household member in jeopardy of health or safety. The circumstances must be documented in the case record to support the amount provided. Such emergency assistance may include the following:

(1) Placement in a temporary emergency shelter, even if the applicant is not a township resident. Placement may be made in the county home or in a private shelter, for which the Trustee has contracted services, as long as the shelter does not require participation in religious services. While residing there, the individual, if capable, is to be employed (I.C. 12-20-9-2). Any individual under the influence of drugs or alcohol, mentally ill, or otherwise incapable of self-care and who is in need of shelter assistance will be referred to an appropriate agency within the county or an adjoining county at no cost to the township.

(2) The Trustee receives a report that an individual or household member is sick, in need, and without necessary financial resources. The Trustee will investigate and provide the temporary relief required. Before any further or permanent relief is given, the Township Trustee will consider whether the applicants or household’s need can be relieved by means other than an expenditure of township money. If the Trustee does provide temporary emergency assistance, he may direct such an individual to complete application to other governmental programs within fifteen (15) days. Failure to complete such applications within fifteen (15) days will bar the individual from seeking further non-emergency assistance from the trustee for sixty (60) days from the date the original emergency assistance was granted (I.C. 12-20-6-5).

II.  Township Public Assistance Provisions

Township public assistance is not an insurance program or “back bill” payment program.  Township public assistance is intended to alleviate the immediate suffering of only those persons otherwise unable to help themselves and who take the necessary actions to try to help themselves.  The applicant and all members of the household must show that every effort has been made to provide one or more of the basic needs of the household.  The Township Trusteemay provide and will extend township public assistance only when the personal effort of the township public assistance applicant fails to provide one (1) or more basic necessities.

If an applicant or household member has a relative living in the township who is able to assist the applicant or household, the Trustee will, before providing aid a second time, ask the relative to help, either with material relief or by furnishing employment (I.C. 12-20-6-9, 10).

The Trustee will acquaint himself, as much as possible, with the work of all relief agencies or charitable organizations operating within the township, and cooperate with them in any way he may deem advisable, to the end that unnecessary duplication of assistance may be avoided (I.C. 12-20-6-3). Even upon a non-emergency request for assistance, an applicant or household member is required to comply with all referrals made by the Trustee to other public assistance programs within fifteen (15) working days of the referral date.

When referred by the Township Trustee, an applicant or household member must comply with case management requirements of private service agencies contracted by the Trustee.  The private service agency will report the case results to the Trustee.


Basic necessities may be provided under one (1) or more of the following forms of Township

     Public Assistance:

      A. Clothing (I.C. 12-20-16)

Clothing for both children and adults in an eligible household may be provided.  Referrals to local charitable organizations distributing clothing may be made.

      B. Food (I.C. 12-20-16-5)

It is unlawful for the Trustee to provide food assistance for an applicant or household that is eligible to participate in the federal Food Stamp Program.  The only conditions under which the Trustee may purchase food for an eligible food stamp family are:

  1. during the interim period an applicant or a household is awaiting a determination of eligibility from the food stamp office and ending not more than five (5) days after the day the applicant or household becomes eligible to participate in the Food Stamp Program (I.C.12-20-16-6).
  2. upon the verified loss of the family’s food supply through unpreventable spoilage.
  3. upon a written statement from a physician indicating one or more members of the household needs a special diet, the cost of which is greater than can be purchased with the household’s allotment of food stamps.
  4. when the Trustee determines that an applicant or a household, that already has participated in the Food Stamps Program to the fullest extent allowable, is in need of supplementary food assistance and that such supplementary food assistance is necessary, based solely upon the circumstances of the particular case (I.C. 12-20-16-6).
  5. upon the verified loss of the household’s food stamps or food supply by fire or other natural disaster; or burglary or other criminal act, if a report is filed with the appropriate law enforcement agency.


If the Trustee determines that an applicant or household is considered to be incompetent or irresponsible to select food or make proper use of food stamps, the Trustee will issue the food purchase order in the name of another adult member of the household, another relative living in another household, or another individual (I.C. 12-20-16-8).


The Trustee may, instead of providing direct township public food assistance, refer an otherwise eligible household to a local government or private food pantry (I.C. 12-20-16-5).  The Trustee may administer township public assistance food allotments on a weekly basis or less, depending on the circumstances of the household.   If a food order allotment is provided to an eligible household, it will be administered according to household size using the following table (based on the Food Stamp Program guidelines).


Household Size        Dollar Amount (per week)

1                                $39.00

2                                $71.00

3                                $102.00

4                                $130.00

5                                $154.00

6                                $185.00

7                                $204.00

8                                $233.00

9                                $263.00

10                              $292.00

(Each additional person $30.00)

The Township Trustee will inform an applicant that he maynot provide food assistance for more than thirty (30) days unless the applicant or household files an application with the Township Trustee that includes evidence of application for food stamps and the amount of food stamp assistance to be received or the reason for denial of assistance.

If emergency food assistance is provided and the applicant or household appears to be eligible for the Food Stamp Program, then the applicant or household must apply for food stamps within 15 days of the date emergency food assistance was given by the Trustee and show verification of such, prior to the granting of a second month’s food assistance.  Failure to apply for food stamps will result in disqualification for township public assistance for 180 days from the date of the next application.


C. Household Necessities (including personal hygiene supplies)   (I.C. 12-20-16-7)

Household necessities include basic and essential items such as hand soap, detergents, paper products, furniture, utensils, as well as heating and cooking stoves.  Personal hygiene supplies are included, but not limited to, first aid and medical supplies for minor injury and illness.  Referrals may be made to other agencies providing such items.

Any dollar amount allotted in the form of a purchase order to an eligible household will take into consideration the number of household members, their ages and sex.  Specific items requested by the applicant and deemed necessary by the Trustee will be specifically listed on the township purchase order.  Such household need allotments will be issued to eligible households according to the following table.

Household Size        Dollar Amount (per Month)

1                                $62.00

2                                $70.00

3                                $78.00

4                                $86.00

5                                $94.00

6                                $102.00

7                                $110.00

8                                $120.00

(Each additional person $13.00)

D. Funeral/Burial Expenses (I.C. 12-20-16-12)

Application for funeral and burial assistance must be made to the Township Trustee (either by a family member, coroner, or mortician) which includes the signing of an affidavit and consent to disclosure prior to burial arrangements being finalized.

Residency of the deceased must be established by the Township Trustee.  The deceased person’s residency in the township will be determined by the location of the last primary residence of the deceased.  A hospital will not be considered as a place of residence, but a nursing home or similar residential facility may be considered as a place of residency unless other domicile or real property is or has been maintained or owned within the 24 month period immediately preceding the death.  If the Township Trustee determines that the deceased individual is a resident of another township in Indiana, the Trustee will notify the Trustee of that township, who will then provide a person to superintend and authorize either the funeral and burial or cremation of the deceased individual.

The Trustee will provide a person to superintend and authorize the funeral and burial of an eligible deceased indigent person and may financially provide for the funeral and burial of those indigent persons not leaving sufficient resources (i.e., cash, automobile, insurance, and/or real property that  may be liquidated) to defray funeral and burial expenses.  If it is determined that the deceased has sufficient funds, real or personal property, Medicaid burial assistance, or other assets to defray funeral expenses, the township will not provide assistance.


Estates Subject to I.C. 12-20-11-5b (workfare assignment and satisfaction), a trustee who furnishes township public assistance may file a claim against the estate of a township public assistance recipient who:  (1) dies, leaving an estate; and (2) is not survived by a spouse, disabled adult dependent, or dependent child less than eighteen (18) years of age; for the value of township public assistance given the recipient before death.  [I.C. 12-20-27-1]  The estate of a township public assistance recipient includes any money or other personal property in the possession of a coroner under I.C. 36-2-14-11.

Payments received from any other governmental source(s), will be deducted from the township’s allowable maximum.

Family members will be requested to assist the township to defray the deceased person’s funeral and burial expenses and those contributions will be deducted from the township’s maximum allowance. Under normal circumstances, the township will not approve burials for weekends, holidays, or any time in which burial costs are higher.  The Trustee will take into consideration out of the ordinary expenses for special circumstances (i.e., a needed extra large casket or vault).

The cremation of an indigent person may be an option for the township, provided the funeral director has secured a burial permit and has written authorization from the deceased person’s next of kin or the personal representative of the deceased person’s estate.

The township will not pay for the cost of transporting the remains of an indigent person back to Fairfield Township unless the indigent person expired in a medical or governmental facility (i.e. hospital, veteran’s facility, prison, county home, or county jail) having been admitted to that facility from his place of residence in Fairfield Township.  Nor will the township authorize payment for transporting the remains of a deceased person having expired in Fairfield Township to another township, or pay the cost of a burial incurred in any other township, unless burial space is already owned by family members within a radius of sixty (60) miles.


If an individual dies in a township, leaving no money, real or personal property, other liquid assets, or other means necessary to defray funeral expenses and is not a resident of another township in Indiana, and is a resident of a state institution at the time of his/her death, the division that has administrative control of the state institution will reimburse the township trustee for the necessary and reasonable expenses of the funeral and burial or cremation expenses incurred by the Trustee.  If this same type of individual is a resident of a special institution governed by I.C. 16-33 (Chapter 1 – repealed; Chapter 2 – repealed; Chapter 3 – deals with Silver Crest Children’s Development Center; Chapter 4 – Indiana Soldier’s and Sailor’s Children’s home) at the time of his/her death, the state department of health is to reimburse the trustee for the necessary and reasonable expenses of the funeral and burial or cremation of the deceased individual.

The total cost of a funeral, including burial plot, may not exceed eighteen hundred (2100) dollars.

The township requires a death certificate and an itemized statement from the funeral home before payment can be authorized (I.C. 12-20-16-12).

The cost breakdowns for necessary burial expenses are as follows:

(1)  Mortuary……………………………………………..not to exceed $1,200.00

(Casket, professional services, preparation, transportation)

(2)  Cemetery…………………………………………….not to exceed   $900.00

Burial plot($300.00)

Opening and closing($300.00)


The total cost of Cremation, including burial plot, may not exceed eight hundred fifty (1000) dollars.

(3)   Cremations (only)…………………………………………not to exceed $850.00

Cremations with Burial…………………………………not to exceed $1000.00


Funeral home and burial expenses covered by the township are for basic goods and services only, as agreed upon by the Township Trustee and Funeral Home Director (a standard package).  Either visitation the day prior to burial or the same day of the burial/memorial service is included (not both).  The cost of a gravestone is not included.  The deceased person’s family is not allowed to upgrade the funeral/burial goods or services at their own expense if the township has agreed to provide assistance.


Funeral continued

Before a funeral home can be considered for services, a current price list copy, as disclosed to the

Federal Trade Commission must be on file with the township.


 E. Medical Treatment (I.C. 12-20-16-2)

The Trustee will make referrals to other local agencies providing such medical services.  Medical treatment through the township will be provided for eligible persons only after the following applications have been submitted and services sought:

  1. Any free or community health clinic
  2. Medicaid
  3. Hospital Care for the Indigent (H.C.I.)


Only in cases of necessity and when individuals are not provided for in public institutions, by a private insurance policy or through governmental programs, such as Medicaid or Medicare, will the Township Trustee provide medical assistance.  The township will consider payment only on the following medical services for the qualifying poor (excludes those associated with a hospitalization or surgery).


  1. Prescription drugs, as prescribed by attending practitioner, as defined in I.C. 16-42-19-5
    1. The patient must make application and obtain authorization from the township prior to purchase (I.C. 12-20-16-2).
    2. The patient will need a current hard copy prescription from the doctor.  No prescription bottles will be re-filled.
  2. Office calls to a physician licensed under I.C. 25-22.5 (repealed) or another medical provider.  Applicants must first make application and receive authorization from the township, except in an emergency.  The cost of a medical specialist cannot be covered by township funds unless the applicant was referred to the specialist by their primary physician (I.C. 12-20-16-2).
  3. Dental care.  Funds for dental care will be limited to medical care necessary to relieve pain and infection in the most practical and economical way.  The township may pay for the repair or replacement of dentures, but not for the initial cost of dentures (I.C. 12-20-16-2).
  4. Emergency room treatment that is of an emergency nature.  A medical emergency does not exist when the illness/injury could have been treated at a routine office visit to a general practitioner, preceded by application and authorization for assistance from the township office.  Necessary emergency room treatment may be covered by township funds provided the proper request is made to the township office, by the patient or a household member, within fifteen (15) working days of the day the medical services were rendered.  The medical service provider and applicant must complete the township form P.R. 4, “Report of Medical Aid Rendered,” and submit it to the township office within the same fifteen (15) working days cycle.  Failure to do so within the prescribed time will result in a denial for assistance.
  5. Pre-operation testing prescribed by an attending physician licensed under I.C. 25-22.5.
  6. Over-the-counter drugs prescribed by a practitioner, as defined in I.C. 16-42-19-5.
  7. X-rays and laboratory testing, as prescribed by an attending licensed physician.
  8. Physical therapy prescribed by an attending licensed physician.
  9. Eyeglasses, eye exams, eyeglass repair or replacement.
  10. Repair/replacement of prosthesis.
  11. Insulin and items needed to administer insulin.

In accordance with the provisions of I.C. 12-20-16, the township will use the Indiana Office of   Medicaid Policy and Planning Schedule for determining the amount to be paid for medical services   rendered unless the service charge is less.  The lesser of the two will be the amount paid.  The township is under no obligation to provide for medical services and/or prescribed medications that are excluded for payment by either the Indiana Medicaid or the federal Medicare program (I.C. 12-20-16-2b).


Unless prohibited by law, the township will seek reimbursement for medical services paid in cases in which the individual assisted qualifies for medical services under a state medical plan (I.C. 12-20-16-2e).


F. Shelter (12-20-16-17)

The Trustee may provide shelter relief assistance to an eligible household, including rent and mortgage payments where applicable.  The amount paid on behalf of a client will not exceed a predetermined shelter allowance, per the township’s standards (see page 10 for amounts).


The Trustee will provide aid, in whatever form is necessary, to provide shelter or prevent the loss of shelter, so long as such aid constitutes the most economical and practical method of relieving an eligible applicant.  In cases where suitable housing is available at a lesser cost, the Trustee may refer the applicant or household members to such housing.  Failure to apply for such recommendations will be cause for denial or discontinuance of assistance.


An individual or household who has spent the prior night (or with the likelihood of spending the night in the immediate future) in an environment considered to be unsafe or unhealthy are categorized as homeless.  Temporarily living with relatives or friends does not, in itself, constitute a “homeless” condition for the purpose of township public assistance.


Shelter is defined as a house, mobile home, apartment, a group of rooms, or a single room that is occupied, as separate living quarters where the occupant or intended occupant:

(1) does not live and eat with any other individual in the building and

(2)  has direct access to the occupant’s living quarters from the outside of the building or

through a common hall (I.C. 12-7-2-177).

(3)  must meet HUD Standards.


Whenever an applicant requests housing assistance from the Trustee’s office, a written information statement from the landlord will be required.  This statement will include such items as:  the full name of the landlord, a mailing address and telephone number for the landlord, a statement indicating whether the landlord will (or will not) accept payment from the Trustee’s office, the amount of rent charged, the due date, what utilities are provided, in whose name the lease is listed, and the number of individuals residing in the household.

Applications for shelter assistance will be considered only once it is due (not prior to the due date).  Only the current month’s rent will be considered for assistance when no judgment for eviction and/or back rent have been taken against the applicant or household member.

An application will not be taken for the same assistance for a period of 30 days from the date of  your last application.  (Example:  You make application on March 20th for March’s rent and you need help with April’s rent you cannot apply until after April 20th).

The trustee may pro-rate the rent from the time of application to the last day of the current month. Rent may also be pro-rated based on anticipated monthly household income.

The Township Trustee will not spend township public assistance funds for a shelter damage or security deposit for an otherwise eligible township public assistance applicant or household.  It is

the responsibility of the applicant to make arrangements for the payment of required deposits prior to being granted assistance from the township trustee.

Shelter assistance will only be paid to the person who is purchasing or who owns the propertyTownship public assistance funds will not be paid to anyone (as a landlord or vendor) who has received assistance from the Trustee as a township public assistance applicant, unless the assistance has been repaid (see page 19 letter C–Reimbursement to the Township).

Shelter assistance will not be paid to relatives (as a landlord) on behalf of an applicant when both are living within the same household or in separate housing unencumbered by a mortgage or the housing has not been previously rented by the relative to a different tenant at reasonable market rates for a period of at least six (6) months.

If an applicant is renting housing from a relative with an encumberingmortgage, the township will pay only the maximum allowed in the township guidelines or the amount of the mortgage payment, less the principal, whichever is less.  The same applies to any homeowner who qualifies for assistance with a mortgage payment.  NOTE:  Home Equity Loans or Refinanced Mortgages that  include other bills are not considered an encumbering mortgage.

Leasing from family members will not prevent provision of shelter assistance, if the family landlord is financially unable to provide free rent to the recipient.  Verification will be required. If shelter payments are made to a relative of a township public assistance applicant on behalf of the applicant, the trustee may file a lien against the relative’s real property for the amount of township public assistance shelter assistance granted.  The same applies to any township public assistance recipient who receives assistance for a mortgage payment.  Note:  The township will credit against the lien, any S.S.I. benefits recouped.

The township is not obligated to pay the cost of shelter assistance for an applicant who’s relative purchases a property for the intended purpose of having the applicant live in the unit.

This applies to real estate purchases made within ninety (90) days prior to making application for poor relief, anytime immediately following the filing for poor relief assistance, or during the period an applicant remains otherwise eligible for poor relief.  Also, the township is not obligated to pay, directly or indirectly, the costs of mortgage payments when the property in question is part of a potential property settlement in a pending court proceeding, such as a divorce or inheritance.

The township is not required to provide shelter assistance to an otherwise eligible individual if:

(1) the individual’s most recent residence was provided by a parent, guardian, or foster parent               

(2)the individual, without just cause, leaves that residence for the shelter for which the individual seeks assistance.  Just cause, in this case is defined as physical abuse (and a police report has been filed) or unsafe living conditions (documented by the health department, housing inspector or utility company).

The township is not under any obligation to pay shelter, on behalf of an otherwise eligible applicant, to a public or private agency wholly or partially funded by federal or state funds (I.C. 2-20-17-2).

Applicants having moved within sixty (60) days immediately preceding their application for township public assistance from shelter provided by a relative or subsidy will be declared ineligible for township public assistance unless the applicant can establish just cause for having moved (I.C. 12-7-2-200.5).

If the property is a sublet, an agreement with the property owner will need to be verified.

The township may require that rental properties conform to applicable building and health codes before rents will be approved (I.C. 12-20-16-17).

The Township Trustee may provide shelter to homeless individuals or families by contracting for such a service with a local not-for-profit agency.

The Trustee will process applications for admission to the county home in accordance with the provisions set forth in I.C. 12-20-16-15.  Once processed and properly investigated, the Trustee will make a recommendation to the of County Commissioners as to whether or not the applicant should be considered for admission.  If the applicant fails to be recommended for admission by the Trustee, the applicant will be advised of his/her right to pursue the petition on their own (I.C. 12-30-4-5). As persons become permanent charges upon the township (paupers), the Trustee, as overseer of the poor will have such persons removed to the county home (I.C. 12-20-9-5 & I.C. 12-20-17-4).

It is for the Township Trustee to determine whether a pauper will be removed to the county home (I.C. 12-30-4), or temporary relief afforded to such a pauper (Board of Commissioners vs. Harlem, 108 Ind., N.E. 913).  When this determination is made and the applicant is unwilling to make application to the county home (Tippecanoe Villa) for any reason, assistance will be limited to the amount of such assistance at the county home, not to exceed a period of sixty (60) days.

A Trustee is not required to provide shelter to an individual who, at the time assistance is requested, is under the influence of drugs or alcohol or is incapable of self-care.  The Trustee may, at no cost to the township, refer an individual described above to an appropriate agency or facility located in the county or an adjoining county that has a program or charter specifically addressing the problems of substance abuse, mental illness, or self-care(I.C. 12-20-17-2f).

Housing allowances are determined on the basis of the township mean for housing established by averaging rental charges established by landlords for the following housing units:

Unit Size    Allowance for rental unit             Allowance for rental unit

                    not including utilities                    including utilities

Efficiency     $459.00                                       $482.00

1 bedroom     $525.00                                       $551.00

2 bedroom     $663.00                                       $696.00

3 bedroom     $868.00                                       $911.00

4 bedroom     $1091.00                                     $1146.00

Note:  The Trustee will use the following federal housing assistance guidelines to determine the rental unit size needed for the household size and only grant assistance in accordance with such.  A one bedroom unit is allowed for parent(s) with one child less than two years of age, a two bedroom unit if over two years of age. Two children (and two only) of the same gender are allowed a bedroom, two of the opposite gender may share a room up to age two.


G. Utilities (I.C. 12-20-16-3)

Utilities considered for assistance payments include water, natural gas, and electric services besides fuel for heating and cooking (cable television service and telephone service without the order of a physician is not considered for assistance).  A household may apply for township assistance as soon as the notice of a disconnect has been received (IMPORTANT:  it is the responsibility of any adult household member to seek assistance before the utility is actually disconnected to prevent the overuse and wasting of additional community resources).

The Township Trustee will not pay deposits, prepayments, or reconnect fees (I.C. 12-20-16-17f).

It is the responsibility of the applicant to make arrangements for the payment of a required deposit prior to being granted assistance from the Township Trustee.  (In cases of pressing hardship, the

Trustee may authorize payment of delinquent bills or reconnect fees when necessary to prevent termination of services or to restore terminated service and then only the minimum amount required I.C. 12-20-16-3).

The township will not consider the payment of delinquent utility bills if the applicant was ineligible for township public assistance at the time the utility service was incurred, or the delinquent bill is older than six (6) months.  Applicants must provide verification of their income level at the time the utility bill was incurred.

To be considered for assistance, utility service must be in the legal nameof an adult member of the household (or a landlord or former member of the household, if the applicant proves that the applicant is the one responsible for payment of the bill) (I.C. 12-20-16-3).

The Trustee will not pay for any utility service received as a result of a fraudulent act by any adult member of a household requesting assistance (I.C.12-20-16-3b2).

Any utility bill that was incurred in another township will be referred back to that township.

All federal and state funded resources for utility assistance must first be exhausted. Utility assistance will not be denied solely because the applicant has applied for federal/state energy assistance programs (which provide one time fixed amounts during the winter months) or because the applicant is covered under the wintertime moratorium on shut-off (I.C. 8-1-2-121).

The Trustee may not pay for heating fuel or electric services for longer than thirty (30) days during that part of the year when applications for assistance are accepted by the Indiana Family and Social Services Administration (locally through Area IV Agency on Aging and Community Services) unless the applicant files for energy assistance (I.C. 12-14-11).

Prior to receiving township public assistance for fuel or electric services for subsequent periods during the above season, the applicant must provide the following:

(1) Evidence of application for the Energy Assistance Program.

(2) The amount of assistance received or the reason for denial of assistance.

(Note:  Failure of the applicant or household to follow all regulations and guidelines of the Energy Assistance Program during the moratorium period, as agreed on the POINTS TO REMBER FROM AREA IV’S signed form, including the submission of regular payments, may result in denial for township public assistance.)

H. Transportation (12-20-16-11)

Transportation provided to eligible individuals is by bus.  No monies for gasoline are available.

Transportation may be provided for an applicant to seek or accept employment.

The township may require an applicant to perform workfare prior to receiving transportation assistance (I.C. 12-20-16-11).

The Township Trustee may not furnish a non-resident of the township with transportation until the Trustee determines the legal residence of the individual applying for assistance.  Once the legal residence of any non-resident of the township has been ascertained beyond a reasonable doubt, the Trustee may provide transportation only in the direction of the applicant’s legal residence (unless it is shown that the individual in need has a valid claim for support or a means of support in some other place to which the individual asks to be sent).

Whenever an applicant or household member has received township assistance for transportation to a location outside the township, at the individual’s request or by court order, and later willfully reapplies for assistance in the township from which the individual was sent, the individual may be denied township public assistance for not more than one hundred (180) days (I.C. 12-20-9-6).